Wednesday, February 10, 2010

problem solving 1. question 6

This blog is about a problem solving page we got. I really like problem solving, especially math questions, and I'm not just trying to be a nerd or a suck-up. I actually think they are really fun, especially when you do them with your friends. Problem solving is always easier and more fun with other people, that's what i learned from this problem solving set. Anyways, there was a particular question in this math set that I thought was both more fun and easier than the others. This is the question:

6. If x = -2, the value of (x)(x^2)(1/x) is...?

a) 4
b) -8 1/2
c) -4
d) -8
e) 16



To solve this question, I first replaced all the x's in the equation by -2.

(-2)(-2^2)(1/(-2))

Then, I simplified this equation.

(-2)(4)(-1/2)

After that, I changed the (-1/2) to a decimal so that it was -0.5.

(-2)(4)(-o.5)

Finally, I solved the equation by multiplying all the different numbers.

(-2)(4)(0.5) = 4

The answer is a) 4

No comments:

Post a Comment