Wednesday, March 17, 2010

cayley canadian math contest

Okay so a couple of weeks ago (Thursday, February 25, 2010 to be exact) our math class participated in an across Canada (I think) math contest. It wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done, but it was still pretty stressful. Most of questions were do-able, and I know I could I have gotten some of the harder ones if I had enough time. For one of the questions (number 16), I almost figured it out, but ran out of time at the last second. There was also one more question (number 14) that I thought I got right, but after we went over the contest in class, I learned the answer I put was wrong. :( In the end, I tried to leave exactly 5 questions that I did not know the answer to blank in order to get the max 10 free marks from unanswered questions, which was pretty good because there was in total 6 questions that I didn't know the answer to.

During the contest, I was quite focused. I think that the pressure helped me concentrate better, but from this contest I learned that being calm was the key to figuring out the answer. I also think that because near the end of the contest, I was running out of time and I was forced to work harder and faster - the pressure helped me do better.

My favourite question from this contest was number 23, but it would take way to long for me to explain what I did (and I don't quite remember everything I did anyways), and so I'm going to choose a different question. Another question that I liked was number 21, but it involves a drawing, and I don't really want to make it on paint, and so I'll choose an easier question. A fun and easy question was number 7. and so I'll do that one. I like it because it is fun and easy and simple. =D

The mean (average) of 5 consecutive integers is 9. What is the smallest of these 5 integers?

a) 4
b) 5
c) 6
d) 7
e) 8


If the Average of 5 consecutive integers is 9, then 9 must be the middle number. If there are 5 numbers, then the middle number must be 3. The number 3 is two less than 5. The number 7 is two less than 9. The answer is d) 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment